In the Loop
The latest news and updates from The Brooklyn Green School.
Thought of the Day: "Equality is leaving the door open for anyone who has the means to approach it; equity is ensuring there is a pathway to that door for those who need it." - Caroline Belden in the Equity vs. Equality Series, The Inclusion Solution
Programming at the Brooklyn Green School
What is happening at the Brooklyn Green School?
City Growers Urban Agriculture Course
Students explore and maintain garden plots and hydroponics, growing food and knowledge around food justice, social justice, and sustainability with Mx. Lu.
Violin with S'Cool Sounds
Beginning and intermediate violinists build skills and a repertoire of classical and folk songs on the violin with renowned jazz violinist Mr. Barnfield.
Yoga and Mindfulness with Bent on Learning
Students practice mindfulness and yoga with age appropriate trauma informed programming led by our certified yoga instructor, Ms. Niomi.
VIP Spring Guitar Performance
Our Scholars Have Access to...
- Chess and mentoring with Mr. Rainy on Wednesdays and Thursdays
from 4:30 PM-5:45 PM
- Guitar Club with Mr. Dennis and Internal Creations on Tuesday and Thursday for Intermediate guitarists and Wednesday and Friday for Beginning guitarists
from 3:00-4:00 PM
- Debate Club with Ms. Emily and Ms. Barbara on Wednesdays and Fridays
from 3:00-4:00 PM
- Green Team with Ms. Whitney on Thursdays at lunch
- Sheltering Arms After School with Ms. Kassie daily featuring clubs like Cook Shop, Event Planning, Photography, Hair Braiding, Cosmetology, and Step Dance
We could not be more excited to announce our new partnerships beginning in Winter 2022 with:
Mark Morris Dance Company:
Led by current and former Mark Morris Dance Group company members, students learn and explore West-African, modern, and hip-hop dance from a variety of Mark Morris’ repertory that emphasizes musicality and specificity of movement as well as proper technique. Gaining knowledge and insight first-hand, these workshops aim to inform, inspire, and develop the artistic practice of pre-professional students.
Students will build outdoor skills and expand their knowledge through environmental education in exploratory outdoor adventures including trips, hikes, and canoeing.
Girls Who Code:
Scholars will work in teams to complete a computer science impact project that solves a real-world problem in their community.
NYC Schools Account (NYCSA)
Did you know that you can track your child’s education on any computer, phone, or tablet? You can also sign the COVID consent form, right in the NYC Schools Account (NYCSA). You can sign up for an account by entering a few basic details. This will allow you to begin receiving notifications from the DOE. It only takes five minutes, and it is the first step in getting a full account.
Please visit this link to create an account - https://mystudent.nyc/
BKG Back to School Supply List is now LIVE!
The materials that will help your child be prepared to succeed this year (and are required for their classes) has been posted on our school website. Additionally, families can now purchase their school shirts from our online store! Make your back to school purchases while sale prices and supplies last!
Additional Resources & Updates
How to Stay in the Know!
At BKG, our families matter most.
At The Brooklyn Green School, we believe that schools thrive when families and teachers work together, as genuine partners, to maximize student learning inside and outside of school. In order to achieve this shared goal, we are all about forging strong relationships within our school community. The first step in relationship building is to make sure that we keep our lines of communication open!
Currently, we use the following methods to help our families stay connected and "in the know:"
- Email - We send out emails with important information and updates to our school community. Email email@example.com if you have not been getting our emails and we will add you to our emailing listserv.
- School Website - We frequently post events, updates and info on our website, so be sure to check in daily!
- Remind - We work hard to consistently engage with families, and Remind is one way we message families! Messages are delivered right to your cell phone as a text message. Text @ms898 to 81010, or click here to join our Remind community!
- Google Voice & Voice Robocalls - While the building is closed you can reach us by phone using our Google Voice telephone number: 732-800-6708
- Social Media Platforms - The Brooklyn Green School has a very active social life! Social media life that is! Be sure to follow and like us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!